According to his son's account, Rommel was able to choose how he would die because of his service in Africa

According to his son's account, Rommel was able to choose how he would die because of his service in Africa

Rommel's son Manfred was 15 at the time. He says he heard his father go up and enter his mother's room.


Eager to know what was going on, he followed his father.

Rommel was standing in the middle of the room, his face pale. “Come with me,” he told his son in a deep voice.

They went to Manfred's room. "I just told your mother I'll be dead in fifteen minutes," he began by saying.

Rommel was calm as he continued:

“Dying at the hands of your own people is a difficult thing. But the house is surrounded and Hitler accuses me of high treason. Due to my service in Africa, I was given the privilege of dying by swallowing poison. The two generals outside took some with them. It is fatal in three seconds. If I agree to take the poison without any problems, none of the usual actions will be taken against my family, that is, against you. They will also leave my team alone.

"Do you think they will keep their word?" interrupted his son.

"Yes," replied Rommel. I believe him. It is in their interest to ensure that the matter does not leak. Furthermore, they asked me to make you promise to maintain the strictest silence. If you speak out, they will no longer be bound by the agreement I made with them.

His son began to get indignant. "We cannot defend ourselves against them, resist..."

But Rommel interrupted him immediately. It's no use. It's better for me to be the one to die than to have a shootout and you die


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'He ripped the child from his mother's arms': Father who 'slaughtered' his three sons, 3, 4 and 7, put a bullet in the head' of the youngest - as prosecutor vows to 'have him executed'

German women were raped by all armies at the end of the second world war From the archive, 17 June 1955: Berlin woman's memoir of mass rape reviewed

In 1989, in the small village of Miyakoji, Japan, primary school teacher Yumi Tanaka made a peculiar discovery as she looked into the toilet bowl